Questions to Ask Your Wedding Venues Before Signing the Contract
By Eivan’s Wedding Team
Choosing your wedding venue is one of the biggest decisions you will make during wedding planning.
We advise you to visit proposed venues right at the beginning of your planning. This helps inspire your other wedding details like save the dates, invitations, guest list, color scheme etc.
To help you choose the perfect wedding venue, we have prepared a detailed list of questions to ask when touring these potential venues.
As you ask a wedding venue all the important questions, be sure to consider these three as your basic guide.
- Guest count
Your wedding theme
What questions should you ask at the wedding venue?
Before we begin!
We have categorized the questions into smaller categories that are easier to peruse
Feel free to add your own questions that may not be in this list
When you visit each venue remember to carry a pen and notebook to write down answers you receive so you can be able to look at them when making a final decision.
- Is our wedding date available?
- How many other weddings have been booked that day?
- Is the venue available for exclusive use?
- Is there any discount for the season?
- Do you offer different wedding packages?
- What sitting arrangement do you for the wedding ceremony?
- How many guests does this venue hold?
- Is there space for a cocktail hour?
- What type of tables do you have? Their shape and sizes?
- Is there a rental fee and what does it include?
- How many hours does the rental fee include? Is there an overtime fee if the ceremony goes longer?
- Is there a deposit? How much should I pay? When is it due? Is it refundable and what are the terms of the cancellation policy?
- What’s the payment plan and what forms of payment schedules do you accept?
- Can I hold both my ceremony and wedding reception here too? Any additional cost?
- Is the site handicap friendly?
- Parking or valet parking available?
- How many parking spots are available?
- Is public transport easily accessible from the venue?
- When is the shuttle service available?
- How many restrooms are available?
- Is there a backup plan for indoors in case it rains when using outdoor space?
- Are there restrictions for photography in terms of flash usage?
- Is the venue child friendly? What facilities are available for entertaining children?
- Is there somewhere secure to store wedding gifts?
- Are there changing rooms for the bride, groom or wedding party?
- Can we have our rehearsal dinner here? How much time is allocated for the rehearsal?
- Do you have liability insurance?
Music and Sound
- Are there are noise restrictions?
- Can the venue accommodate a live band or DJ?
- Where does the DJ set up? Are there any restrictions?
- Where is the dance floor and how large is it?
- Does it have proper lighting?
- Do you have sound systems with speakers or we will need to rent separately?
- Do you provide speech microphones?
- Can we hook up our laptop or an iPod to your sound system?
Food, Vendors and Rentals
- Is there a preferred wedding vendor list to stick to? Can we use your house caterer?
- Are tables, chairs, linens, plates, silverware and glassware provided? Do we rent them or get our outside caterer to bring them?
- Is catering available? Can we do a tasting?
- Do you accommodate special dietary requirements?
- If using in house catering, what is the tax and service charge?
- If we hire our own caterer, are kitchen facilities available to them?
- Can we bring in a cake from an outside baker?
- Is there a cake-cutting fee?
- Will there be an option for a dinner the night before or a brunch the day after the wedding?
- Do you have a liquor license?
- Can we bring our own alcohol? Are there any limitations to what kind of booze we can bring?
- Is a champagne toast complimentary?
- How is alcohol priced and is there a charge for bar staff?
- Is there a bar minimum that must be met?
- When can we get access to the venue for decoration or set up?
- How early can the vendor deliveries be made?
- How long do we have to clean up ore tear down after the wedding day?
- Are there any decor restrictions? Is it free to use sparklers and confetti as we wish?
- Are there samples of the rentals available to look at?
- What are the restrictions for décor? Any lighting restrictions, candles?
Staffing and coordination
- Do you have an on-site coordinator? Should we bring in our own wedding planner?
- What services are included with their venue coordinator and are there any additional charges?
- Will the coordinator serve on our big day?
- Do you have signage to direct my guests to the wedding?
- Do you provide assistance getting gifts to the designated newlywed’s couple?
- Can the wedding party get ready at the venue?
- Are there any private rooms or suites available to get ready or have alone time?
- What overnight accommodations do you provide?
- Do you provide any partnerships with nearby hotels? Please provide us with a list if any?
- Do you offer a discount for booking multiple rooms?